CNA's - Day, Evening and Night Shift
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Nursing Assistant works under the guidance of the Director of Nursing and supervision of the licensed nurse to provide direct resident care. The Nursing Assistant will serve as a team member to promote optimal resident care.
REPORTS TO: Director of Nursing. In the absence of the Director of Nursing, this position reports to the Assistant Director of Nursing.
Training and Registration Required:
- Successful completion of a state approved nursing assistant long term care training program/testing with current listing in good standing on the Minnesota Department of Health Nursing Assistant Registry.
- Eligibility for employment after criminal background study, per guidelines of the Minnesota Department of Human Services.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with all information relating to residents.
- Ability to manage own time in order to accomplish assigned duties.
- Ability to competently perform Nursing Assistant skills.
FUNDAMENTAL JOB DUTIES:
- Provide direct resident care in accordance with the philosophy, policies and
- Procedures of the Nursing Department.
- Use knowledge of resident rights in all resident situations.
- Complete duties identified in each resident care plan. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Bathing residents (bedbath, tub, shower, AM/PM cares)
- Feeding residents (food, fluids)
- Toileting residents per directions in care plan
- Performing perineal care
- Performing grooming activities (hair care, nail care, foot care, oral care, shaving facial hair)
- Shampooing resident’s hair
- Measuring intake and output
- Transferring residents utilizing appropriate supportive devices (transfer belt, mechanical lift, pivot board, sliding board)
- Assisting residents with ambulation using transfer belt unless resident is independent with full weight bearing ability
- Turning and positioning residents using precautions as identified by the Rehabilitation Department
- Performing active and passive range of motion exercises
- Making occupied and unoccupied beds
- Weighing residents
- Dressing and undressing (including footwear)
- Care for skin
- Report to station charge nurse:
- Changes in residents’ status (physical and/or behavioral)
- Residents’ responses to care
- Unusual occurrences or observations
- Problems with completion of assignment
- When ready to leave at end of shift
- Complete required documentation
- Answer any resident’s call light promptly.
- Plan/assist with transportation of any resident to activities and therapies.
- Maintain residents’ rooms/equipment (clean, orderly, safe).
- Maintain adequate supplies in residents’ rooms needed to complete cares.
- Follow facility emergency plans during drills and in the event of an emergency.
- Follow Nursing Department policy for wearing and using transfer belt.
- Use mechanical lift as defined in individual care plan.
- Engage brakes on bed, wheelchair, and other transport devices during transfers.
- Use good body mechanics.
- Perform warm up stretches prior to start of shift.
- Report equipment repair/maintenance needs/safety hazards.
- Report all resident incidents and accidents immediately.
- Report any personal injury immediately.
- Use standard precautions and infection control practices.
- Follow St. Luke’s Lutheran Care Center Vulnerable Adult Policy.
- Demonstrate positive working relationship with coworkers and other departments.
- Use effective communication with residents, families, visitors, coworkers and other health care professionals.
- Promote positive image of St. Luke’s Lutheran Care Center.
- Address resident/staff issues in private.
- Abide by Nursing Department dress code.
- Wear nametag at all times.
- Attend in-service activities to improve knowledge and skills and maintain competency.
- Participate in St. Luke’s Lutheran Care Center continuous quality improvement efforts.
Area Nursing stations
- Ability to frequently bend, squat, crouch, kneel, and push/pull.
- Ability to occasionally reach above shoulder level.
- Ability to carry up to 35 pounds.
- Ability to lift up to 50 to 60 pounds.
- Ability to understand and use GOOD BODY MECHANICS.
This Job Description subject to review and modification as needed.
St. Luke's Lutheran Care Center is and Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider.